Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Thing I Had to Have SO Badly...

...that as soon as Sephora gave me 20% I snatched it up along with a few other things - because who could possibly not get as much as possible when it's Sephora and it's 20% off, duh - that I spent (again) entirely too much money on shit I probably won't use.

Anyway, I promised swatches of the Too Faced Sweet Dreams palette and here they are. I've never done this before and I used my cell phone, so sorry for the slightly crappy quality. I'm lazy and I find my Droid easier than breaking out the camera...


It looks like a lacy book the flips open to reveal eye shadows and there is a palette that slides out of the bottom with the blushes, bronzer and highlighter, plus some goofy, unhelpful cards on how to create looks. Yes, that is a mirror on the top flap, it's getting the ugly marlite in my mom's bathroom HAHA.

Ok...

The Shadows:

No Flash

Flash

From left to right, vertical swatches: In the Buff (matte vanilla), Peach Fuzz (sheer, shimmery peach with golden/coppery micro sparkles), Copper Peony (metallic copper) Teddy Bear (matte medium neutral brown), Lovey Dovey (dark bronze with micro sparkles), Satin Sheets (sheer light pink with a golden sheen), Cut the Cake (light lilac with a subtle golden sheen), Party Girl (rich violet with sparse glitter), Nice Ash (gunmetal shimmer), Smolder (almost black matte navy)

Across the top from left (sorry, ran out of arm): Honeymoon (antique white gold metallic - possible dupe for UD's Maui Wowie without the annoying glitter?), Label Whore (dark reddish brown with teal sheen - duochrome!!), Nice Stems! (yellow toned bright green shimmer with slight gold sheen), Cop a Teal (dark, dark teal shimmer), First Dance (Deep matte purple/eggplant)

Thoughts


In the Buff is the perfect end of shadow to brow filler (or highlight if you will) for those times I am using super bold or dark colors or going for a monochromatic look and I don't want a shimmery or frosty highlight color to take away from it.

Peach Fuzz is sheer but the sparkles are nice and don't give horrid fallout (think UD midnight cowboy, ugh!) and it's perfect for a sparkly overlay that won't change the base color too much (on lighter colors) or a nice sparkly highlight.

Copper Peony is one from their new Midnight Garden (? I think) collection. I have the full size and it gives much better color payoff if I remember correctly. Lovely color regardless.

Teddy Bear is my go-to brow color.

Satin Sheets and Cut the Cake both are a little sheer but have a lovely sheen to them.

Label Whore is one of my favorite shadow colors. I have a Loreal HIP loose shadow in the same color and I LOVE it. This one has the best payoff of all of them.

Nice Stems! great color, disappointing payoff.


The Cheek Drawer:


Top to bottom: Chocolate Soleil, Cocoa Rose, Sweet Pink, Candlelight Glow


Thoughts:


Chocolate Soleil smells like freaking chocolate, holy crap! Totally wasn't expecting that. Other than that, it's a matte brown color that makes my skin (at least on my arm) look bruised. And not like, "ouch my kid left legos on the floor yesterday and I hurt myself" bruised. More like, "I used my arm as a hammer 3 weeks ago and it's just now fading away" bruised. Maybe it will look better when I have a tan, but then, who needs bronzer?

Cocoa Rose is a dusty brown rose color. Perfect blush color for me. And it's matte, which I love. I'm not big on the NARS Orgasm shimmer (thought I do wear it and it looks good).

Sweet Pink speaking of NARS Orgasm.... Same concept, more pink and less shimmer.

Candlelight Glow I believe Too Faced meant this to be used as an all over face color. It's a tad too shimmery for me to do that. It makes a decent highlighter, but, as you can see, it doesn't show up really well. This is good (and you can partially blame my bad pic) for the most part, but I'd like a tad more payoff with this.

Overall, I really like this palette. Though, unlike last year's palette, this one seems to have slightly less pigmented versions of the shadows (which you often see in palettes like this). For $52, though, there are enough shades in here that I will use regularly and this had replaced last year's (with the shitty pull-out thingie for the shadows) as my travel staple. (This also came with a full-sized Shadow Insurance tube).

Still available at Sephora.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment