Friday, October 21, 2011

What Happens to Your Nails After the Zombie Apocalypse (Also Great for Vampires)

Ok, maybe not... But I got this idea from the lovely Scrangie and while thinking about my makeup for my Vaccinated/Fluoridated Zombie costume, I thought this would be the perfect way to still have well manicured nails (the thought of putting dirt or smudgy stuff on my nails just wasn't flying with me). Have a looksee:


Excuse the background, I actually snapped this with my Droid to send to my friend and my boyfriend and I was extremely impressed with how well it turned out.

Doesn't it look like my nails are sliding off of my fingers in a bloody trail?!?!


Slightly different lighting. Some of these turned out weird because of the damned mercury bulbs in this house. Oh well, just another cause of my Zombification, I suppose. Maybe I'll hang one of those bulbs around my neck as part of my costume. Of course, in my inevitable drunken stupor, I might break it causing all of the party guests to have to flee to the outdoors in the freezing cold and rain for fresh air so they don't get mercury poisoning. Yeah, maybe not...


Much messier than Scrangie's, but I think it adds to the whole "OMG my nails are sliding off of my fingers!!!" look. Besides, this was just a test run and I had about 3 very large cups of coffee. Not conducive to smooth-lined manis, yet something I often do before painting my nails, because being tired isn't conducive to nice nails either.



Mercury lighting.


I did this shot to show how thick the matte polish is. Normally, I find it to be quite a pain, but it works out really well for this look, adding depth to make it look the way I want it (like my nails are sliding off in a bloody trail).

What I used: One coat of NailTek Foundation II, 2 coats of Essie Limited Addiction, 1-2 coats of Orly Iron Butterfly.

Cost: Essie retails for $8 in drugstores, Giant Eagle and on their website, but I think you can still get them at transdesign.com for $4. I got this one as part of a 4 piece mini cube (Winter 2010, I believe) which cost me $17. I got the Orly at Sally Beauty on clearance. I don't know if they even make this color any more, but I do believe it's a dupe for ManGlaze Fuggen Ugly (what Scrangie used in her version). You could also probably use any black with small silver glitter and a matte topcoat just on that part.

Application: I love Essie Polish. Most of them apply beautifully, and this one is no exception. It went on beautifully in 2 coats. The matte Polish is a different story. Mattes dry REALLY fast so you have to work very quickly so as not to drag where you already put Polish. Hence the 1-2 coats for this. Some of them I screwed up and had to fill in a little. Plus, this one is really thick, which helped with only needing one coat, but made it a little harder to work with.

Dry time: Here's the tricky part... Essie isn't the fastest drying polish (it's not bad, just takes a little time) and again, the mattes "dry" really fast... EXCEPT, they're not really dry. I would recommend, since there are so many coats here, allowing the red to dry COMPLETELY before applying the matte. Then, you won't have tacky Polish under the matte which could cause you to really screw it up.

Musings: Limited Addiction is my ALL TIME FAVORITE red. It's a really beautiful blue/slightly brown based classic red almost jelly. Let me explain... Jelly Polishes have a nice semi-transparent, squishy feel. This one has that semi-transparent quality without the squishiness. It's almost like a semi-opaque stained glass. It looks great on my pale skin, but most reds I have tried look good on me; this one just looks REALLY good. It's also kind of a shape-shifter. In some lights, it's an almost vampy deep wine red, in other lights it's a bright, classic (but not pin-up) red. Really awesome. So awesome, in fact, that I bought a full-sized bottle, as my mini is over half gone, and that's with hundreds of other Polishes to choose from.

Oh, I guess I should also mention that this is called a "Ruffian Manicure"... I didn't know brutal people painted their nails... Or horses did. Hm...

No comments:

Post a Comment