Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Big Burrito Nails

Aka Even an Envelope Can Be Inspiring

So my wonderful non-state-sanctioned husband is a subscriber to the "Big Burrito mailing list"... It's basically a restaurant franchise that includes Mad Mex and Casbah here in Pittsburgh. And now you're asking "WTF does this have to do with nails, Trbo?" And I answer, "Stop being so damn impatient! I'm getting there!"

Sorry, didn't mean to yell at you. Anyway, he got some holiday coupons from Big Burrito (nothing to write home about really - $10 off an entree at a place that's approx $60/plate? I'd feel totally ghetto pulling out that coupon, I have to say). They came in this gorgeous metallic/shimmery/matte green envelope. I told him that I needed a nail polish that color. To which he replied something like "you mean you don't already have that color? I don't believe it."

So, I set out to recreate that beautiful envelope... (Picture of said envelope is, sadly, unavailable)





Ok, wipe your chin, there's a little drool...

Here's what I used: One coat of Nailtek Foundation II, 2 coats of Sephora nail color in Prom Night (not to be confused with $OPI, these are the little mini Sephora brand Polishes), one coat of CND Effects in Gold Pearl and 2 coats of Essie Matte About You topcoat.

Application: Sephora Polish - Very nice. Love the brushes in these. They're like the Sally Hansen Instadri brushes if those brushes were done right and not put in a horrible Polish formula. Flat, thick and rounded at the edges. Plus, it's  mini bottle so the stem on the brush isn't too long causing dripping. They're also not so wide that they splay off the nail. It was opaque in 2 coats.
CND Effects - Ok, this one is a "pearl" which pretty much translates to "Hello, brushstrokes!" but other than that it applied nicely.

I am really digging the matte over shimmer/frost. It's still very shiny, but satiny shiny instead of glossy shiny. It looks like metallic velvet to me.

So did I get close to the envelope color? Well, I don't have the envelope handy to compare, but I will say there was much less yellow in it. If they had "silver pearl", it would have worked better. Alas, this is what I had to work with and I am quite pleased with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment